Sunday

Initial response

After showing my treatment to Lee at the gallery she came up with some concerns, not seeing how the painting linked in to my idea. Although in my mind the painting inspired my film, I could see how the link wasn’t immediately apparent. Although I wanted to keep the runaway chase feel of the film I decided to tie it in more to the film and sent Lee the following changes:

The beginning now starts with Sid making a delivery to the castle in the painting. He rings the bell and notices his wooden delivery cart starting to roll down the hill. He jumps on to stop it, but the cart keeps going. He bashes into the market seller and continues on to the busy road below. The cars are made from wood, and he still gets flung over the side of the cliff. He lands again on the frozen lake, spins off and is perched precariously hanging on to the birdcage which in turn is looped over a tree branch. The cage door opens and the bird flies out leaving poor Sid just hanging there.

The idea now links into the painting in the following way:


1. The castle is now the first focus and starting point of the action.
2. The design of the buildings will be heavily influenced by the artist's style, which is why I shall take reference from Prague and Paris.
3. It will be set in a winter scene, which is what the artist was renowned for painting.
4. The main character in my film is going about his everyday life and interacts with others doing the same [for example the street vendor and those driving on the road] reflecting the characters in the painting.
5. The character depicted in the middle of the painting is falling over and his wife screams in shock, which I will echo in the market and road scenes of my film.
6. The huge tree framing the side of the painting will be transported to the end scene of my animation, where it has a pivotal role to play in the action.
7. The frozen canal from the painting will be the setting for the climax to my film.
8. I will use the same colour scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment